Thursday, September 1, 2016

Literature and Comics Week 4

The adventures of Tin Tin in America
I felt rather nostalgic about this as I used to watch the Tin Tin animated series (and even watched the most recent 3-D animated film, which was beautifully done), so it was good to read the comic-book series to remind myself about the characters and give myself a refresher.

At first when I was reading it I was thinking..Oh! The dog talked! Then I was thinking...oh yeah, the dog's name  was Snowy. I was also thinking that Tin Tin was a really smart character as he was always able to get himself out of a situation. e.g. using dummies to make Al Capone's goons believe he was shot.

I also thought the dialogue was pretty well-developed. As for the stylistic elements the comic seemed to have even panel spacing and nice contrast with the shadows (the shadows would all be inked in black, which was easily distinguishable.)

At times I found the situations they got into hilarious such as the Pedro Ramirez digging his own grave even though Tin-Tin was wrongly accused. There was one thing I wondered though, is that the way they got out of situations was suspenseful but also somewhat lucky--like surviving from a fall--I admire Tin Tin, as I wouldn't be able to cope with a high-risk job like that.

Donald Duck Christmas on Bear Mountain
The thing I liked about this comic was the comedy. The comedy was mainly caused by misunderstandings and by escalating situations: one action making the other situation worse etc.

What I liked about the comic was the dialogue. It was well-written, even without seeing characters I would be able to tell who is who. e.g. Donald saying 'Bah, Bah, Bah' (there were nice quirks to the dialogue.)

What I found interesting though was that in the TV series Huey, Lewie, and Dewey were rebellious and mischievous, but in the comic they were just complained and wanted things, like little children. I often found their actions in the TV series a bit too extreme at times, but in the comic I found it tolerable.

I laughed at the part where Scrooge thought Donald was sleeping next to the bear because he was courageous when in fact Donald just fainted.

Jack Cole and the Plastic Man
I didn't really think much about it other than the thin-paper feeling of the pages, and I liked the stretchiness of Plastic Man, the way he transitions from being all stretchy, then landing on the next was pretty cool. Although personally, I didn't like his outfit

No comments:

Post a Comment